Museums in the municipality of Kovacica:
Michael (Mihajlo) Pupin Endowment in Idvor
- Home of Michael (Mihajlo) Pupin
- National House of Michael (Mihajlo) Pupin
Michael (Mihajlo) Pupin was born on October 9th 1854 in the Banat village Idvor, Banat was at that time part of the Habsburg monarchy. Pupin also finished elementary schooling in his birthplace.
After attending the High School in Pancevo, he continued his education in Prague, but was forced to stop because of his father's death and the lack of money. Pupin eventually moved to USA in 1874. After five years he managed to enroll at Columbia University, where he completed his studies as a student of the generation. he continued with postgraduate studies at Cambridge. His doctorate in experimental physics, was presented in 1889 at Friedrich Wilhelm University in Berlin. After that, the next fourty years he spent as a professor of physics at Columbia University.
During the decades of his scientific work, among other findings, Pupin made a huge contribution to the development of modern telephony. One of his most important invention relates to improving the transfer of a phone call to the great distances, the so-called Pupinization.
In addition to dealing with science, Pupin, through his life in USA, was very socio-politically engaged, especially during the World War I. Thanks to his participation at the Peace Conference in Paris in 1919 and direct mediation in the talks between the USA and the Yugoslav delegation - parts of Dalmatia, western Slovenia, parts of Slavonia, Baranja and Banat went to the Kingdom of SHS.
Michael Mihajlo Pupin died on March 12th 1935. He was buried in the Woodlawn cemetery in the northern part of New York, with the representatives of the Yugoslav and American delegations in attendance.
Native Home of Mihajlo Pupin in Idvor was restored and reconstructed in 2004 to mark the 150th anniversary of his birth. The old building of primary schools in Idvor, attended by Pupin, is now a museum of Pupin's most important scientific findings. A year after his death National House of Michael (Mihajlo) Pupin was built also in Idvor.
Tel: 013 676 335
Contact Person: Steva Kapunac
Ethnographic Museum in Debeljača
The Ethnographic Museum in Debeljača is located in the building raised in 1907 - the former bank building. The four rooms of the museum hold a collection consisting of over 1,000 canned items, mainly craft and other tools, parts of furniture, as well as objects from everyday life of residents.
This collection was created thanks to the dedication and efforts of Széchenyi Jolan, an art teacher, in 1977, and with the help of all the residents of Debeljača that brought the items. Some parts of the museum rooms are reserved for certain segments of living and working of Debeljača people. One of them is dedicated to the famous Debeljaca fair while one of the most important parts of the museum holds a part of the inventory of 100 years old Debeljaca pharmacy.
Ethno House in Padina
Ethno House shows us the life of Slovaks in the 19th century Padina. Long time ago it was the house where sexton lived. Sexton is a church officer charged with the maintenance of the church buildings and/or the surrounding graveyard; and ringing of the church bells. In 2006, in honor of 200 years of the settlement, a group of citizens, together with the Association of women, who were the initiators, renovated the house and equipped it with old things collected by the villagers wanting to show how their ancestors lived.
The house is not just an exhibition space, but is used for meetings of the Association of women and for some smaller celebrations in the winter. In the first room, or in the hall, there are old photographs that show the history of Padina, while the other two rooms are decorated as a living room and bedroom. Kitchen is used for cooking and baking (mainly bread and potatoes that are being baked in the old style peasant oven). Groups of tourists can shedule a visit and have a traditional Slovak breakfast organized. Wine is also being served.
The House is located behind the church. The House courtyard currently exhibits only an old coach. but there are plans to exhibit the old agricultural machinery too.
Ethno House in Uzdin - Romanian House
Romanian House was established on May 21st in 2005. with the help of Romanian consul in Belgrade, Radu Baženarua. This house is the first national facility of its kind outside the borders of Romania. In time it became a real Romanian Cultural Centre where various cultural events of the Romanians in the region are being organized.
There are several rooms, each is dedicated to a separate topic. There is a Library of Petru Mezin with the fund of more than 4000 books. Then there is a gallery Torna, Torna Fratre, terrace of poets Targovistea, one museum room is dedicated to Sport in Uzdin through the centuries. There's also a rich collection of old household items, a collection of folk costumes, as well as exhibit of traditional-style rooms in Uzdin.
The Romanian House is a donation to the literary and artistic society Tibiscus from Uzdin. The House was donated for the cultural purposes and in remembrance of their father, Dr. Petru Dimceu - by Dimcea brothers - Dr. Dorel Dimcea a physician specialist from Nicosia, and Dan Dimcea, an IBM researcher from Paris.
A large number of people helped this cultural meeting point - as volunteers, by contributing donations, or in any other way, which residents Uzdin highly recognized and honored.